Saturday, June 20, 2009

Now...thats LOVE!


My mom has been sick.In fact, "sick" is an understatement. In January she was told that she has congestive heart failure. She has fluid surrounding her heart and and it is also enlarged. Back in January her heart was working at 10 percent. There is much fancier terminology involved with this illness, but for blogging sake, I will keep it simple. 10 was not a good number. We were afraid that we were going to lose mom. That is hard to even type. They decided to treat her with medicinal therapy, telling us that only 30 percent of CHF patients respond to this kind of treatment. The other 70% do not survive or are heart transplant candidates. My mom was one of the 30% who responded well to the medicine. Mom is now able to live a semi-normal life. She was able to shop for short periods of time with me, cook dinner, and pick up the house. She gets tired really easy. She even recently went on vacation!
About three weeks ago, mom passed out. She was told that she was at a very high risk for her heart to quiver. She had a recent echocardiogram that came back with better results than last time. Her heart is now at a 20. Doubled! The doctor said that since her heart is a little stronger, it is time to get a difibrulater. A defibrulater will keep her heart at a healthy pace, and also shock her heart into rythym if need be.
On June 19, she went in for her implantable defibrulater surgery. I was a nervous wreck. Mom did great during the surgery and was home that afternoon! It was music to our ears to hear the mom was okay. Thank our good and gracious Lord.
My family views a heart difibrualter as a demonstration of God's grace. None of us deserve this life we have, but He gives us grace...in my mom's case, a difibrulater and great meds!
The guy that programmed my moms defibrulator gave my dad a sample one. My dad said later on that day, that if his wife was going to have to wear a defibrulator...then so was he...


now, that's LOVE! (notice the defibrulator pinned to his shirt!)


My mom also came home wearing a very boring sling. We decided to "Bling her Sling"...fun!


No comments: