Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Doubly Special!

July 8th is a doubly special day. My parents share this day as their birthday. My dad was scarfing down his first birthday cake the same day that Christine Wilhelm gave birth to his true love, Rita. I think it is pretty cool that my parents share a birthday, not too many people can say that!

Dad,
Happy Birthday. It has been a long year since your last birthday. A lot of changes in your life have accrued and you have handled it all so gracefully. It is your very evident love for Christ that has enabled you to get through this year. You know that God is in control. You have shown me that you have faith in God and truly believe in His sovereignty. You have taught me so much through your words and actions about God's love for us. As I walk through life, striving to be more Christ-like, I have you as an example to me. So, Thank you daddy! And thank you for caring for my mommy and my Children's Mimi. You love her and we see it.

Mom,
Happy Birthday. I still remember your last birthday. It was a normal birthday that we, very ignorantly, took for granted. Shortly after that birthday, you got sick. Sometimes I look back on those months that we didn't know what was wrong and wish that we had known. I am sorry for getting frustrated, I am sorry for yelling, I am sorry for not being compassionate. I am so sorry. When we learned that it was your heart, I was afraid. I thought that we were going to lose you. I hurt inside. I am so thankful for God's mercy and grace. The doctors were given the wisdom to take care of you. I know that you do not feel and probably won't be "100%", but here we are celebrating your birthday. I am so grateful to God. Mom, you are a miracle from God. I am not sure what I would be without you, but I want you to know that you have taught me so much about being a mother, wife, and friend. You have taught me that it is better to give...in fact, you find so much joy in helping others. Thank you for teaching me that. You have also taught me faith. There were so many conversations we had while you were sick and I remember you saying that God was in control and that what was happening was completely supposed to happen. How amazing! Happy Birthday!
I love you mommy!

No comments: